Monday, October 10, 2011

Gear grinding and a marathon


To quote Peter Griffin…”You know what really grinds my gears?”

Airport security. Let me preface this with the fact that I absolutely appreciate/understand the need for additional security in airports…buuuuut there’s something about having my undergarments flung about in front of hundreds of people that really grinds my gears. Yesterday, as a TSA agent walks my direction with my backpack held over their head, I was trying to imagine what I could possibly have in there that looked suspicious under x-ray…after meticulously sorting through ALL articles of clothing, the man holds up the item in question…a makeup brush. Serial?

On to something else…this blog is supposed to be about anything and everything that interests us, the bloggers. Our hope is that by casting a broad enough net we might actually recruit a few interested readers (although comments remain at zero, I have high hopes). Well…something that interests me is running. I love to run, I’ve been doing it for years now. I did compete once upon a time, now it is purely recreational. After my years of competition ended, I struggled with being able to really enjoy a run. I was always focused on distance and pace, what interval workout I was going to do… I hated any runs over an hour because I couldn’t get myself to slow down enough to really enjoy them. The concept of running “just to run” was foreign to me. 

Eventually, I broke the pattern. Running became a means of not only staying physically active, but also of maintaining my mental and emotional health. Now feeling that I’ve perfected the art of slow, “relaxing” runs, I’m ready to up the intensity again and tackle something I never thought I’d do…the marathon….more on that to come (your excitement is palpable)

Happy Monday!
Magpie

No comments:

Post a Comment