Friday, October 14, 2011

Eenie meenie miney Marathon


I mentioned a couple days ago I had decided to do a full marathon. I’ve done several half marathons and after each one thought…who could run two of those in a row? Maybe it’s because I haven’t run a half marathon in over a year or maybe it’s because everyone has marathon fever and I’ve caught it….or maybe there’s a part of me that thinks (in spite of years of competing) “how can I call myself a runner if I haven’t run a marathon?” Even though I would never tell a fellow, self-proclaimed runner that running a marathon is a necessity to earning the right to such a title, I seem to hold myself to a different standard at times. I think it’s a character flaw as much as it shows strength of character to push yourself to achieve expectations you would never hold of someone else…it can lead to both great and terrible outcomes. I think it is a trait common among many of us “runners.” Anyone have thoughts on this…?

Anyways, back to my marathon. I signed up super early for a marathon in April...


I know this is a difficult marathon to run and I’m a little nervous about making it my first marathon…but I chose it for the following reasons:

1)   I want an experience…not just a race. I’ve run many races….some I remember, others that were forgettable. While I doubt I’ll forget my first marathon regardless of where it is, why not complete it on one of the most beautiful courses in the country. And a grand piano? – Love it.



Running the Bolder Boulder...one of my favorite annual races
2)   It’s in the states, and a not too difficult plane ride for my family, meaning I am able to recruit the other bird and my mom to come suffer the 10.6 miler while I live it up/die a slow death during 26.2.  It’s that whole misery loves company thing…

3)   Timing – it’s in April, which gives me ample time to prepare. Prone to injuries, I want to take my time building a solid base this fall, allowing my body to acclimate to longer distances, before I officially start training in January.

I’ve been perusing through training plans but am not sold on any one plan just yet. My main goal is to finish. With that said, I also want to be in good enough marathon shape that I can enjoy this race (mostly) rather than cry/crap my pants all the way to the finish line. 

I do not know this person...I unfortunately know his problem...
 Anyone run Big Sur? What type of training plan did you use…and what workouts helped you prepare for those hills?!

Happy running!

Magpie

No comments:

Post a Comment